Montague the lost suburb-exhibition

  • From 10:00AM Mon 12 Feb 2018 To 6:00PM Mon 30 Jul 2018
  • Heritage

A display of historic photographs from the Port Phillip City Collection.

The Montague district of South Melbourne extended from Ferrars Street to the light rail (formerly the railway line), and from City Road to Boundary Street. In 1900 there were over 1,000 households in the streets and lanes; many families living in poor housing conditions. Montague was known for its close community ties, and former residents returning to visit, were sure of a warm welcome. By the mid- 1930s the area was earmarked for demolition and thirty years later most residents had left the area.

 Image: Montague Street, 1930s, sm0812, PPCC

Opening hours

Mon

Tues

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

10am—6pm

12pm—8pm

12pm—6pm

12pm—6pm

10am—6pm

Library only 10am-2pm

Closed

Location

Emerald Hill Library & Heritage Centre & South Melbourne Town Hall
195 Bank Street
South Melbourne
Vic 3205
Australia

Cost

Free