Montague: a Community lost and found

Links to two short films by Traces Films, completed in November 2019 and February 2020 for the City of Port Phillip.

Montague: a community lost and found

Comprising interviews with former Montague residents, their family photographs and photographs from the Port Phillip City Collection. 

The Montague School

An interview with a former Principal of Montague Continuing Education Centre and Special School historian, Tony Thomas. The film includes a tour of the school and historic images.

Montague: a brief history

The Montague district of South Melbourne extended from Ferrars Street to Boundary Road and from City Road to the railway line. The main cross streets were Gladstone, Buckhurst, Thistlethwaite and Montague.  The Montague railway station which was established in 1883, gave the area its name.   By 1900, there were twenty two streets and lanes within the district.

The area was intended for ‘persons of the artisan class’, and this was reflected in the type of housing advertised for sale.  ‘Neat two roomed cottage and land, plastered 110pounds.   Stoke Street, off Gladstone Place

By 1875, there were about 560 households in Montague.   In 1900 there were over 1000 households in the district, with some 200 of these in the lanes and little streets.  

Many of the workers attracted to the low cost housing were labourers, firemen, boilermakers, mariners and shipwrights.   Surprisingly, nearly a third of the inhabitants of Montague were owner occupiers.

Most of the houses in the little streets and lanes were made of wood, and had two or three rooms, occasionally four.   Most had no bathroom or wash house.   By the 1920s these houses were damp and decaying, due in most part to the periodic flooding of the area.

The area was known for its close community ties; it had its own school, church, police station, kindergarten, football team, hotels and shops.   But by the late 1930s the whole area had been earmarked for demolition by the Government’s Slum Abolition Board.   By the 1960s most people had left the area.

After years of being home to industry Montague is undergoing a resurgence as a residential area once again. As part of the Fishermans Bend precinct, Australia’s largest urban renewal project, new homes, schools, community facilities, businesses and parks are all in development. 

Council adopted a Structure Plan for the Montague Precinct in September 2012, which established Montague as a highly liveable and sustainable mixed-use precinct. The new South Melbourne Primary School on Ferrars Street, and Kirrip Park on Buckhurst Street, both opened in 2018.  

The new Montague is bound by the West Gate Freeway to the north, the St Kilda Light Rail Line (Route 96) to the east, City Road to the south, and Boundary Street to the west.

 


Gladstone St., sm0814
Gladstone St., sm0814
Gladstone St., sm0817
Gladstone St., sm0817
Montague St., sm0812
Montague St., sm0812
Thistlethwaite St., sm0830
Thistlethwaite St., sm0830
I WANT TO
EVENTS ACTIVITIES
Calendar
Title and navigation
Title and navigation
<<<June 2020><<
June 2020
 MTWTFSS
22       
231234567
24891011121314
2515161718192021
2622232425262728
272930     
Loading... Please wait