St Kilda & East St Kilda Heritage Recognition Program

St Moritz

From 1939 to 1982 this was the site of St Moritz, Melbourne's favourite ice skating rink. Before that it was the Paradise of Living Pictures, the Wattle Path dance hall and café and the Streets of Paris dance salon. For part of the 1930s it was the Efftee Studios, its name derived from the initials of its famous thespian owner Frank Thring.   

Address: Hotel Novotel, 16 The Esplanade, St Kilda

The Jewish Almshouses

The Jewish Almshouses erected on this site in 1870 operated as a support service for early Jewish immigrants to Melbourne. They were founded by the Melbourne Jewish Philanthropic Society. Inaugurated in 1848, and now part of Jewish Care (Victoria) Inc,  this is the oldest continuously running philanthropic group in Melbourne. The original buildings were replaced in the mid 1960s.

Address: Corner Union Street and St Kilda Road

the_jewish_almshouses1.jpg

The Jewish Almshouses, 1940, from Melbourne's Grand Boulevard: The Story of St Kilda Road, J. Buckrich, 1996.

St Kilda Railway Station

Built in 1857 to face the sea, this is the oldest surviving railway station building in Victoria. The construction of the St Kilda line enabled many residents to reach their businesses in Melbourne quickly and conveniently. With refreshment rooms and bar, the station also thronged with holiday makers and day trippers visiting St Kilda.

Address: 60 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda

Brunning's Nurseries

George Brunning established plant nurseries on the sandy loam soils of this area. He rented a block of land in 1862 and by 1885 his nurseries stretched over ten acres to Rippon Lea. He popularised many plant species, including the pepper tree, and developed a new variety of Lambert's cypress hedge from a tree that grew across Brighton Road.

Address: Corner Brunning Street and Brighton Road, St Kilda

Wattle House

The oldest house in St Kilda and one of the oldest in Victoria, Wattle House was erected in the 1840s on a large block known as Wattle Paddock. Built in a Rustic Gothic style, it was the home of eminent architect Samuel Jackson. It has been a girls' school, guesthouse, brothel, special accommodation and a backpackers' hostel.

Address: 53 Jackson Street, St Kilda

Albert Tucker's Home

Artist Albert Tucker lived at 55 Blessington Street with his wife, Barbara, from 1980 until just prior to his death in 1999, aged 84. The house was built in 1868 and designed by noted architect George R. Johnson. Tucker painted here and in the two storey stables at the rear. He is especially remembered for his series 'Images of Modern Evil', painted in St Kilda during the1940s.

Address: 55 Blessington St, St Kilda

Sidney Nolan's Childhood Home

Artist Sidney Nolan lived in a house on this site as a young boy from 1925. He attended St Kilda Primary School in Brighton Road and later studied design and crafts at Prahran Technical School. In the 1940s Nolan painted a notable series of works from memories of his St Kilda childhood. He described living here as a boy as 'kitsch heaven'.

Address: 63 Pakington Street, St Kilda

Scheherazade

Established by Avram and Masha Zeleznikow in 1958, Scheherazade became an important gathering place for the local community. As a café serving traditional eastern European fare, it was a haven for many refugees. It also attracted writers and artists who would work for hours from a corner of the café. The Zeleznikows' retired in 1999 but Café Scheherazade lives on in literature and theatre.

Address: 99 Acland Street, St Kilda

Galliers & Klaerrs

Galliers & Klaerrs, iron founders and plumbers, occupied 135-151 Inkerman Street St Kilda for almost one hundred years.  Established by Henry Galliers in 1870, by 1903 Galliers & Klaerrs was one of the largest manufacturers of gas cooking and heating appliances in Australia.  The foundry remained in Inkerman Street until the 1960s, when it was replaced by a bowling alley.

Galliers_Klaerrs_-_further_information.pdf

Address: 133-151 Inkerman Street, St Kilda

St Kilda Racecourse 

St Kilda Racecourse was located at the southern end of Peanut Farm Reserve. Races, including the St Kilda Cup, were held in late December and early January from 1847-1868. Surrounded by swampland, the boggy course was often problematic for horses and riders but it was close to town and popular with race-goers. On Boxing Day 1866, over 3000 people attended.

St Kilda Racecourse - further information

Address: Chaucer Street, St Kilda

Site of the first Town Hall 

In 1860 the first St Kilda Town Hall, designed by Sydney W Smith, was built at the rear of the Court House, corner Grey and Barkly Streets. Council meetings had been held in the Court House from the late 1850s. In 1890 a grander Town Hall opened on Brighton Rd, reflecting the growth of the City. The St Kilda Mechanics’ and Literary Institute operated from the former Court House and Town Hall sites until 1913. The apartment buildings on this site were constructed in the 1930s.

Site of the First Town Hall - further information

Address: Corner Barkly and Grey Streets, St Kilda

Assembly Hall

Originally the St Kilda Assembly Hall, designed by architect Peter Matthews of Collins Street. At the time this building opened in 1871 it was the largest municipal hall aside from the Melbourne Town Hall. As a cultural hub of St Kilda during the 1870s, it was used for concerts, bazaars, fetes, spelling bees and theatrical events. It became known as the St Kilda Coffee Palace during the late 19thC heydays of the Temperance movement.

Address: 24 Grey Street, St Kilda

Crystal Ballroom

Located on the second floor of the George Hotel (then known as the Seaview Hotel), the Crystal Ballroom was the Melbourne centre of the punk, post-punk and new wave music scene sweeping the world from the late 1970s. Also known as the Wintergarden, Seaview Ballroom or Ballroom, from 1978 to 1987 it hosted hundreds of local and international acts. The George Hotel has long been a key part of St Kilda’s seaside identity.

Address: George Hotel, Fitzroy Street, St Kilda

Edgewater Towers

Designed by émigré architect, Mordechai Benshemesh, and built in 1961, Edgewater Towers was Melbourne’s first privately developed high rise apartment block. It’s multi-storey slab construction and international style promised Melburnians sophisticated living with a beautiful view. Noted residents include Josef Ganz, the Jewish automotive engineer who was the originator of Hitler’s VW Beetle car. He fled Germany during WWII and lived at Edgewater Towers until his death in 1967. Sir Hubert Opperman “Öppy”, the cyclist and politician, lived here for almost 30 years.

Address: 12 Marine Parade, St Kilda

John King's House

John King was the sole survivor of the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition to Central Australia in 1861. While lost in the bush, King was cared for by the local Indigenous people before being found by a relief expedition in September 1861. Returning to Melbourne, he lived with his sister in St Kilda before marrying in 1871 and moving into a house that stood on this site. He died a year later on 15 January 1872, aged 32.

Address: 55 Octavia Street, St Kilda

East St Kilda sites

Graham Kennedy's childhood home

Graham Kennedy, 'The King' of Melbourne radio and television, lived here from about 1940. As a young child, he moved with his mother into his grandparents' house at this address. He attended Euston College, on the corner of Chapel and Carlisle Streets, then Caulfield North Central School. Kennedy lived here until at least 1957, when he first appeared on In Melbourne Tonight.

Address: 32 Nelson St, Balaclava

St Kilda Cemetery

This is one of the oldest suburban cemeteries in Melbourne, having been laid out by Surveyor-General Robert Hoddle in 1851. Since the burial of ten year old Charlotte Green in 1855, over 55,000 people have been buried here. The cemetery holds the mortal remains of many eminent people including Sir Ferdinand von Mueller, Alfred Deakin and Albert Jacka V.C.

Address: Dandenong Road, East St Kilda

sk0814.jpg

Postcard of front entrance to the St Kilda Cemetery, c1900-10. Port Phillip City Collection

Ardoch

Ardoch has had many lives. From 1867 it was the home of William Wardell, architect of St Patrick's Cathedral and Government House. During the 1920s, Arts and Crafts style flats grouped around a shared central garden became a unique expression of the Garden Suburb Movement in Melbourne. From 1978 a small, vibrant alternative school thrived in the relaxed and home-like setting. In 1993 Ardoch returned to private housing.

Address: 226 Dandenong Road, East St Kilda

Ingleton

Vida Goldstein, pioneer women’s rights campaigner and social activist, lived with her family at Ingleton, a ten roomed brick house which occupied this site in the 1890s. To help with the family finances, the Goldstein sisters opened and taught at a co-educational preparatory school at their home from 1895 until 1898.

Ingleton_-_further_information.pdf

Address: 131 Alma Road, East St Kilda

St Kilda and Balaclava Free Kindergarten

The St Kilda and Balaclava Free Kindergarten opened on 26 September 1911 with five children. It was established on the principles of the New Education Movement, part of the Free Kindergarten Union (established 1908), driven by philanthropic women who recognised the need for free early childhood education. This Kindergarten was established during the second wave of free kindergartens in Victoria. The building was constructed by architects Alec Eggleston and Best Overend and has been on this site since 1916.

St Kilda and Balaclava Free Kindergarten - further information

Address: 23 Nelson Street, East St Kilda

Cumloden College

 

Cumloden College was a successful boys’ school from 1891 to 1905, on five acres of land fronting Alma Rd. From 1906 to 1919 the extensive grounds were leased to the Anglican Church for St John’s Theological College. In 1920 the land was subdivided and the buildings were converted to flats, but later demolished in the 1970’s. The Parish of St James the Great, East St Kilda began in the College Chapel.

Address: 195-201 Alma Rd


View Heritage Recognition Program in a larger map


I WANT TO
EVENTS ACTIVITIES
<<<January 2019>>>
 MTWTFSS
53 123456
278910111213
314151617181920
421222324252627
528293031   
6       
Loading... Please wait