Elwood & Ripponlea Heritage Recognition Program

The Abattoirs

The St Kilda Municipal Abattoirs operated near here from 1861 until 1899, despite residents' objections to the foul odours and dumped offal in the Elster Creek. Adding to the smell were the 'manure depots' much appreciated by the market gardeners of Brighton. Elster Creek was later transformed into the Elwood Canal.   

Address: Robinson Reserve, 393 Barkly Street, Elwood

The Railway Tram

Between 1906 and 1959 this was a stop on the St Kilda to Brighton Electric Street Railway line, known as 'the Railway Tram'. It was the first public electric tramway in Victoria, and was the result of prolonged resident lobbying. Trams initially ran from St Kilda Railway Station to the Elwood depot on St Kilda Street, and later extended to Brighton Beach.   

Address: Corner of Broadway and Glen Huntly Road, Elwood

 the_railway_tram1.jpg

Postcard of Broadway, Elwood c1920. La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria

Point Ormond

For thousands of years there were Aboriginal campsites on Point Ormond. Early settlers called it the Red Bluff. In 1840 a quarantine station and a graveyard were established here for the fever ship Glen Huntly. By 1905 part of the Red Bluff had been removed for landfill, thought to be for the Elwood swamp but later determined to have been used as road, rail and park fill elsewhere. Beacons were lit here for the Separation celebrations in 1851 and the Bicentennial celebrations in 1988.

The Point Ormond Navigational Beacon was rebuilt in 2015. Its condition had deteriorated over the years as the beacon's timber had weathered significantly, mainly due to the harsh environment up on this hill. A replica, constructed of marine grade timber and galvanised stainless steel, was reinstalled in with the addition of a lightning rod.

Address: Point Ormond Reserve, Elwood 

To read more about this site, download Point Ormond article

Brinsmead's Pharmacy

One of the most intact Edwardian style shops in Australia, this has always been a pharmacy. It was built in 1918 and retains original custom made shop fittings. The shop dates from a time when pharmacists were on call 24 hours a day and pills were made by hand. James Brinsmead's pharmacy was particularly famous for its hand cream.   

Address:  73 Glen Eira Road, Ripponlea 

3rd St Kilda Scout Group

This has been the home of the 3rd St Kilda Scout Group since 1957. Established in 1924, this Jewish scout group held its first meetings in the St Kilda Synagogue. It then moved to three old train carriages in the Montefiore Homes' grounds before settling in Avoca Avenue. The group became known as 'Danglow's Own' after its years of association with prominent Rabbi Jacob Danglow.

Address: 26 Avoca Avenue, Elwood

Edward Dyson’s House

Edward Dyson (1865-1931) writer and poet, lived in this house with his wife Dorothy from 1914 until 1923. While here, Edward wrote two novels and a collection of verses, which included illustrations by his younger brother Will Dyson (1880-1938), who also served as Australia’s first war artist during WWI. The extended Dyson family influenced Australian art and literature.

The_Dyson_Family_-_further_information.pdf

Address: 69 Mitford Street, Elwood

Pitt Family Home

The Pitt family owned and lived on this site from 1857 until 1882. Father William senior and son William junior both had strong connections to Melbourne’s theatrical community. William senior was a publican and scene painter who worked closely with theatrical entrepreneur George Coppin. Architect and politician William Pitt junior (1855-1918) is best remembered as the pre-eminent theatre architect in Australasia during the Edwardian era. His most famous achievement was the Princess Theatre in 1886.

Pitt Family Home - further information

Address: 17-19 Milton Street, Elwood

Head Street Diversion Drain

Elwood canal was designed in 1889 to drain Elwood Swamp into the Bay. After experiencing ongoing flooding, a petition to expand this system was signed by more than 3,000 residents and given to State Parliament. The Head St diversion works were proposed and the first sod was turned at this site in August 1955.  This diversion drain channels stormwater from the canal away from Elwood and to the sea through the Head Street outfall.  While these works have significantly reduced the occurrence, flooding remains an ongoing issue for the local community.

Address: end of Head Street, Elwood

Head Street Diversion Drain - further information

Point Ormond Tram Terminus

On 4 June 1915, the Point Ormond tram line was officially opened. The two-kilometre track connected Elsternwick Railway Station to the beach at Point Ormond. A kiosk opened the following year next to the terminus and the surrounding land was declared a public reserve. Trams operated along this section of Glen Huntly Road for the next 45 years. It was closed in 1960 when increasing car ownership saw a decline in tram passenger numbers.

Point Ormond Tram Terminus - further information.pdf

Address: Point Ormond Reserve, Elwood


I WANT TO
EVENTS ACTIVITIES
<<<July 2019>>>
 MTWTFSS
26       
271234567
28891011121314
2915161718192021
3022232425262728
31293031    
Loading... Please wait