Albert Park & Middle Park Heritage Recognition Program

The Biltmore

Designed by W.S. Law and built in 1888, the Albert Park Coffee Palace was a temperance hotel where travellers could avoid the 'demon drink'. Converted into a private hotel in 1928, it was renamed the Biltmore in 1931 and accommodated American army officers during WWII. A nurses' residence from 1950 to 1966, it then became a hotel. It was converted into private residences in 1993.

Address: 152-158 Bridport Street, Albert Park

The Arrow Theatre

The Arrow Theatre occupied this building from 1951-53 under the direction and management of Frank Thring junior.  The Arrow Theatre was part of the Little Theatre movement which encouraged emerging talent and challenged audiences with innovative and sometimes controversial performances.  The Arrow closed in 1953 with the establishment of the Union Theatre Repertory Company (now MTC) in 1953. 

The_Arrow_Theatre_-_further_information.pdf

Address: 1 Armstrong Street, Middle Park

Walter Lindrum's Home

Walter Lindrum, O.B.E. (1898-1960), regarded as the world's greatest billiard player, lived at this address. A member of a family of champion billiard players, he was world champion from 1933 until his retirement in 1950, and established over 50 world records. Lindrum was elected to the Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1985.

Address: 158 Kerferd Road, Albert Park

Allan McLean's Home

Allan McLean (1840-1911) pastoralist, station agent and politician lived here from 1901 until his death in 1911. Elected to the Victorian Legislative Assembly for the seat of Gippsland North in 1880, McLean became the Premier of Victoria in 1899 but lost power the following year. In 1901 he was elected to the first Commonwealth Parliament.

Address: 121 Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park

The Paterson Family Home

Artists Esther (1892-1971) and Elizabeth (Betty) (1894-1970) Paterson both lived here as children. Esther remained here with her husband until her death, and Betty lived with them for some years. Esther was best known for her landscapes, portraits and illustrations, while Betty's portraits of babies and young children were popular here and overseas. Their works are held in various galleries around Australia.

Address: 258 Beaconsfield Parade, Middle Park

Old Buffers

The Old Buffers Carnival had its origins in a friendly debate about football in 1907, here at what was Alf Week’s barber shop. The event grew from a friendly football match of ‘old buffers’ to an annual fancy dress and charity street carnival that entertained and supported the Middle Park community for the next 73 years.

Old Buffers - further information

Address: 99 Canterbury Rd, Middle Park

Monterey

Between 1942 and 1944 an allied intelligence code breaking operation known as FRUMEL worked from Monterey apartments. Australian, American and British navy personnel, 90% of whom were women, worked alongside university professors to decipher Japanese codes. FRUMEL played a crucial role in allied victories during this time including the 1942 Battle of Midway. After decades of secrecy, FRUMEL records were declassified in 1987.

Address: 17 Queens Rd, Melbourne

Monterey - further information

Albert Park Protest Site

In 1993, Jeff Kennett, then Premier of Victoria, announced that Albert Park would be the site for the annual Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix, commencing 1996. The Save Albert Park (SAP) group was formed in 1994 in protest, and by 1995 an onsite vigil on Albert Road had begun. Although the vigil ended in 2005, SAP continues to protest and to advocate the relocation of the event out of the Park. The idea that a private corporation was given exclusive access to public space prompted community activism at a level unprecedented in the area.

Address: Albert Road, Albert Park

Prime Minister's Residence

Prime Minister Andrew Fisher lived in this house from 1907 to 1911.  During his three terms as Australia’s second Labor Prime Minister, the Royal Australian Navy was established, the Commonwealth Bank was founded and Canberra was officially declared the federal capital. Fisher recognised the need for political equality for women and their representation in Parliament, and also introduced maternity allowances. The front room of his home was the site of several cabinet meetings in 1910 and 1911.

Address: 50 Dinsdale Street, Albert Park

Middle Park Baths

The Middle Park Baths opened on this site in February 1892. With a natural sandy gradient, this beach allowed swimming in both shallow and deep water, and the baths were well equipped for their time. Originally privately operated, the Baths were purchased by South Melbourne Council in 1911. Initially bathing was limited to men only, however mixed bathing was approved by Council in 1954. The Baths were eventually demolished in 1961 after sustaining repeated storm damage to the timber structure.

Address: Beaconsfield Parade (opposite Armstrong Street)

Beach Theatre

In 1909, the Beach Theatre opened to much delight and excitement. Renamed the St Louis Picture Theatre in 1915, and surrounded by sea baths, a roller-skating rink and amusement park, the open-air theatre provided nightly entertainment including films and vaudeville performances until its closure in 1923. At the height of their popularity there were several theatres like this along the foreshore. This façade is the only remaining evidence of a once thriving style of entertainment. The site was later used as a motor garage.

Beach Theatre - further information.pdf

Address: 110 Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park


I WANT TO
EVENTS ACTIVITIES
<<<July 2019>>>
 MTWTFSS
26       
271234567
28891011121314
2915161718192021
3022232425262728
31293031    
Loading... Please wait